Food is a huge part of travel. It allows us to connect with different cultures in the most delicious way possible. That said, trying new food might not agree with you. With that in mind, here are some things to keep in mind when trying new ethnic cuisines. With these tips, you can avoid foods that upset your stomach on vacation.
What kind of foods can cause stomach issues?
Many of the ethnic foods you eat on vacation differ from those at home. Even if you eat Thai or Indian food at home, the spice level may be mild in comparison to what you find on vacation. Since some people are susceptible to hot or spicy foods, this can be a problem. Even those with an iron stomach may feel the effects of spicy food, dairy, and fibre.
- Many types of Asian cuisine have hot peppers;
- Lots of Mexican food also use jalapeños, and chilis;
- Indian food has a lot of spices;
- Some Chinese people eat rice made from rice bran. This is high in fibre and can upset a few stomachs.
Eating a small portion of any of these foods might be problematic. You should think about your food intolerances before you go on vacation and plan accordingly.
If you are unsure about what will upset your stomach you can try tasting a small portion first. You may have a sensitive stomach, even if other people don’t experience the same symptoms as you.
To avoid the food that will make you sick, minimize the greasy stuff. You can always use the services of food delivery companies and choose organic options suitable for your stomach. It is important to order from reliable providers; not all of them are good or ethically non-profit companies.
How can you prevent getting sick while travelling?
Whatever your reason for travelling, don’t let your travel plans take a turn for the worse because of an upset stomach! With these tips from a former flight attendant, it will help you avoid unwanted digestive issues so you can enjoy your vacation!
- Pack smart. Pack snacks like granola bars, pretzels, or other easily digestible foods. These are also great for long car rides, boat rides, or bus trips! This way, you don’t need to worry about airport prices or having to have a meal right before boarding a flight.
- Avoid drinking a lot of coffee. This can create issues because your digestive system is already changing while you’re on a trip. The caffeine in coffee will exacerbate the problem and probably give you an upset stomach!
- Drink plenty of water! It’s good for the body but even more critical when trying a new diet or food. It’ll help you feel less bloated and miserable and help your digestive system. Just don’t forget to bring your refillable water bottle with you wherever you go!
Remember to take your medicine with you on your trip. Be sure that the treatment is in approved packaging that won’t get confiscated at customs. This might delay your trip even further than an upset stomach could.
Moral of the story
Nothing ruins a trip like an upset stomach. While you can’t prevent every issue, there are many things you can do to keep your trip from going downhill. Pack smart, bring snacks, and contact a medical travel insurance company for help if worst comes to worst!
What say you?
Thoughts on What Ethnic Foods Might Upset Your Stomach On Vacation??
Let’s hear it!