Australians love the great outdoors. We know it, we feel one with it, and we make the most out of everything that it has to offer. We love the outdoors so much that caravanning is one of the top activities that the nation enjoys. As happy campers, every Australian knows that a caravan is not complete without an awning.
If you’re looking to enjoy the great outdoors and everything that it has to offer, you definitely need a caravan awning. And if you’re looking for one, you’re in luck because we’d enlist the top three caravan awning brands that Australians love and highly recommend.
The top three caravan awning brands that Australians love and highly recommend are as follows:
In this post, we’d enlist essential pros and cons for and recommended awning models for each beloved brand. We look at the best small camper vans out there along with our picks on what to rent or buy. After reading this, we’re sure that you’d be able to determine the perfect caravan awning for your unique preferences and needs. As they are all of top quality, we can assure you that you won’t go wrong if you’d be choosing among the three.
Dometic is one of the most popular brands in the caravan industry. Their A&E roll-out awnings are on-demand in the market. They currently offer two awning models: the Dometic 8300 and Dometic 8500.
Dometic offers two different kinds of awnings:
1. Roof Awnings
2. Wall Awnings
Roof awnings are roof-fitted while wall awnings are attached to caravan walls. Roof awnings are perfect for caravans with curved edges while wall awnings are ideal for caravans with square edges. If there is enough space above your caravan door, a wall awning will also be perfect for you.
- Numerous color choices
- More options for customization
- Easy access to replacement fabric
- Comes with universal hardware kits
- Comes with a specially formulated cleaning product that makes maintenance easy and hassle-free
- Older models can be hard to manage
- An older 2013 awning model was called for a recall
Carefree is an American brand that produces awnings that are durable and easy to set-up. Their awnings go well with Jayco caravans. Australians love two Carefree awning models: Fiesta and Freedom. Its Freedom model is automatic and can be rolled out in just a click. It’s compatible with camper-vans and motorhomes with vertically curved walls. On the other hand, Carefree’s Fiesta awning is best suited for camper trailers or caravans with no curved walls. It goes well with Toyota and Nissan coasters because it can utilize the special legs that those coasters come with. Carefree’s Fiesta model has a rollout mechanism.
- Can be easily set-up
- Compatible with Jayco caravans
- Easy to unwind with the use of a web strap
- An extra roof height is possible
- Goes well with Nissan and Toyota coasters
- Its spare parts are not carried by all major suppliers.
- Can be tricky to look for its spare parts when you’re in a remote area.
Fiamma is an Italian brand. The brand is a giant in the caravan industry as they manufacture numerous caravan products. Fiamma is internationally popular for its box-style awnings. So much so that even Australian caravan enthusiasts love such box-style models.
Fiamma’s best-selling models in Australia are its F45 and F35 models. Its F35 is preferred by many because it is lightweight and perfect for off-road campers. If you have a 4×4, Fiamma’s F35 model will also suit you.
- Most of its models are lightweight
- Compatible with off-road campers
- Numerous accessory options for awnings
- Customization across all endpoints is possible
- Allows for privacy
- Comes with roof rafters
- Includes privacy screens
- Comes with specialized walls
- Come with LED lighting
- Its accessories are not easily available in all major stores
- Not waterproof
- Cannot be used when it’s windy
- Not reliable when it snows
- The company does not cover water damage under its warranty
- Stretched fabric is also not under their warranty
Know Your Preference
We made a transparent list of PROS and CONS to make it easy for you to choose which among the top three most popular awning brands are suited for you and your needs. To simplify your choice, do take note of the following points:
1. Dometic awnings are perfect for you if you want to have an easy time looking for spare parts and accessories even in remote places around Australia. It is an Australian brand so you can be sure that its accessories and spare parts are available nationwide. The brand can even easily ship caravan awnings throughout Australia.
2. Carefree awnings are perfect for you if want an awning that is durable and easy to set-up. If you have a Jayco caravan, a Carefree awning will suit it perfectly as their mechanisms are compatible.
3. Fiamma awnings are perfect for you if you want a lightweight awning that is highly customizable and even allows for privacy. However, it is not waterproof and cannot be used when it’s a windy, rainy, or snowy day.
Knowing your personal preferences will make it easier for you to choose the best awning brand. If you’re after convenience, choose Dometic awnings. Looking for durability? Choose Carefree awnings. If you’re after unlimited customization and a chance for privacy, choose Fiamma awnings.