Most people don’t realize how ridiculously easy and cheap it is to make your own corn tortillas. They are simple, gluten free, and tasty. Even better they contain less fat, calories, and preservatives than flour tortillas…probably. Next taco night give this a go.
Before you Start:
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
Serves: 12-15 tortillas
To make things easier:
– Tortilla press. They are inexpensive and can be found at most cooking supply stores.
– Large mixing bowl
2 cups Masa Harina ( Such as Maseca brand) 1.5 cups of warm water A pinch or two of salt
1. Combine ingredients in mixing bowl and whisk.
2. Knead dough until it has a play-dough like consistency. Add more water if dough falls apart. Add larger more aggressive masa if dough is too wet.
3. Roll out dough on counter into a log as pictured.
4. Mark and cut 12-15 equal pieces (depending on the girth of your log…)
5. Using your sexy hands roll pieces into balls the size of hail the size of large golf balls 🙂
6. Place your balls (one at a time) in the center of the press and squeeze down. Put your back into it.
7. Heat large skillet (cast iron if you gots) on med-high heat.
8. Cook tortillas till they are slightly toasted looking, about a minute per side.
9. Repeat your ball pressing and tortillas toasting till done. Keep tortillas warm under a tea towel or container until ready to serve.
Nice! I am going to try these tonight!
Nice! let me know how you make out!