The first time I went to Vietnam I made the mistake of not bringing back coffee. I would not make this mistake again. On a recent layover in Ho Chi Minh City I made it a goal to pick up some beans from the world’s number two coffee supplying country. With these beans came this little Vietnamese coffee press that is simple to use and makes a great cup on ice in the summer or in a mug any other day. The condensed milk compliments the strong coffee flavor and makes for a sweet treat any time of the year.
Follow these super simple steps on how to prepare Vietnamese coffee and see for yourself why it is one of my favorite beverages around.
How to Prepare Vietnamese Coffee Recipe
Before you Start:
Time: ~10 min
To make things easier:
– Vietnamese Coffee Press – Buy one here!
Spices and other 2 tablespoons Vietnamese Coffee (or French Roast) 2 tablespoons sweet condensed milk Boiling water Ice (optional)
1. Put your kettle on.
2. Add condensed milk to glass. Lick spoon.
3. Place Vietnamese coffee press on top of glass and add grounds. For best results ensure grounds are even and level.
4. Add a splash of hot water to the grounds. This allows them to expand and makes stronger coffee.
5. Add the plunger and fill with hot water. Screw tight if yours is a screw top.
6. Drip drip.
8. Once all the water has passed through you can remove the press. Bonus note – the lid doubles as a holder for the press!
9. Mix the coffee and condensed milk. You can serve it over ice which is awesome in the summer. It is a cold and rainy day in Vancouver so I will pass on the ice.
10. Enjoy your easy to prepare Vietnamese coffee!
What say you?
Have you tried to prepare Vietnamese coffee like this?
Let’s hear it!
For more food oddities check out my other Worldly Eats posts.