I love me some panang curry. Long before my first trip to Thailand the spicy peanut paste was in heavy rotation at my home. It wasn’t until my time cooking with Zabb E Lee Thai Cooking School in Chang Mai did I realize how versatile this paste can be. Although we used it in a standard chicken Panang curry dish, cooking instructor Ann explained other ways to use it while we mashed the paste from scratch.
When I got home, this new knowledge and love of cooking led me to this wonderful and easy beef basil Panang curry recipe from Fine Cooking. This delicious dish is salty and sweet and takes this peanut paste to a whole new level. The ingredients may seem odd but believe me when I say this is the best Panang curry recipe I have ever had… and it’s super simple to make.
Quick and Easy Beef Basil Panang Curry
Before you Start:
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
Spices and other 1 can coconut milk 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter 5 teaspoons brown sugar 2 tablespoons Panang curry paste (I recommend Thai Kitchen & not brand in photo!) 6 teaspoons fish sauce Thai chilli peppers (optional for extra heat) Veggies 1 red pepper halved & thinly sliced 1 onion halved & thinly sliced 1 cup of Thai Basil 1 cup peas 1 lime Cilantro for garnish Protein 1 lbs flank steak thinly sliced against grain Carbs 1.5 cups rice
1. Get your rice going. Also, freeze your beef. You heard me. Flank steak is much easier to slice when slightly frozen. Be sure to cut against grain.
2. In large skillet heat the coconut cream (thick part in can) on med/high heat. Reserve coconut water.
3. After about a minute add curry paste and mix until dissolved (~3 min)
4. Mix in coconut water, peanut butter, brown sugar, and fish sauce. Bring to Beef Basil Panang Curry sauce to simmer.
5. Add onions and bell pepper. Cover and cook until tender. (~ 3 min)
6. Add the stars of this Beef Basil Panang Curry dish to sauce. Let beef cook for ~ 3 minutes. Stir frequently to allow meat to cook evenly.
7. Mix in peas and cook for about a minute.
8. Mix juice from half a lime into your Beef Basil Panang Curry.
9. Serve this Beef Basil Panang Curry dish over rice and top with cilantro, lime wedge, and remaining Thai basil.
10. Enjoy your quick and easy Beef Basil Panang Curry!